ProjectsClick on a project category to get more information.
- Naval Architecture
- Shipyard Engineering & Management
- Civil Engineering & Construction Assistance
- Heavy Lifting & Transport
- Expert Witness
- Provided ongoing technical advice to the owners of a 133 foot, 100 year old, wooden schooner
- As part of a team of naval architects and civil engineers, managed the naval architecture for the design of a graving dock caisson for Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. Team evaluated as "Exceptional" by US Navy
- Performed stability analysis of three Lake Union floating homes.
- Evaluated cost and appropriateness of deck repairs to a construction barge, and designed structural modifications to a second barge
- Designed mast fittings for the restoration of a 39' classic wooden sailboat
- Investigated the sinking of several sport fishing boats in Alaska
Shipyard Engineering & Management
- Provided production engineering, facilities engineering, and scheduling support to three shipyards
- Reviewed the feasibility of increasing the lifing capacity of a floating crane
- Served as the Professional Engineer for a shipyard modifying shipyard cranes for the US Navy
- Estimated the value of 163 shipyard change orders.
- Performed conceptual design of a marine railway.
Civil Engineering & Construction Assistance
- Served on international panel of experts reviewing repair procedures on Guri Dam in Venezuela, the world's third largest hydroelectric dam
- Performed quality review and onsite support for contractor installing a 365 foot long, 1500 ton, prefabricated bridge span
- Designed the foundation for a dramatic display of a pitched and rolled 44' USCG motor lifeboat at the Columbia River Maritime Museum.
- Advised civil engineering firms and contractors designing and installing floating salmon escapement structures
- Participated in the value engineering of a floating fish passage facility
Heavy Lifting & Transport
- Designed mounting and lifting cradle for, and supervised lifting and placement of, an 88 foot, 70 ton, Columbia River Bar Pilot boat for a permanent display at the Columbia River Maritime Museum
- Managed the naval architecture and marine operations for installation of an 800 ton floating juvenile salmon escapement weir at Ice Harbor Dam, including coordination of towing from Vancouver WA. Team was rated "Outstanding" by the US Army Corps of Engineers.
Read Article > (PDF Format)
- Assisted a Japanese shipping company with regulatory acceptance of seafastenings for a 2000 ton, 150' high cargo. Sailed with the cargo from Korea to Singapore.
- Lifted 2 barge mounted Navy cranes 9" to allow Rotek bearing replacement
Participated as an expert for plaintiffs, defendants, and insurance companies in over fifty legal disputes involving vessel quality, vessel maintenance, shipyard management, shipyard costs, vessel sinking, vessel collision, wrongful death, personal injury of seamen, personal injury of passengers, personal injury of shipyard workers, engine malfunction & trade dress